Thursday 13 January 2011

Fun with the Herons

On Monday evening I visited the Heron Cub Pack. What a lovely bunch of Cubs, almost a nice as a bunch of bananas. The Cubs were very excited to be back. Once Shere Khan had welcomed everyone back and introduced me to the Cubs the evening began. A dude called Ian came to meet five Cubs who are moving up to Scouts at the end of the month. I've met Ian before when I visited the Scout section and again the other day at the planning meeting.
 
Ready to enter the tunnel
Whilst the five Cubs had their chat the rest of the pack played dodge ball, a very fast game, lots of cheering and running around. Then Akela spilt the pack up into five groups. The leaders had set up five different bases, I stayed with Shere Khan who took me around to watch and join in with each activity.

Firstly we visited the Pot Hole base set up by Akela, it was very dark. But Louis was kind enough to lend me a head torch so I could see where I was going. It seem it went on forever but was great fun. Just like the real thing.

Wow, what a bridge!
Next was over to Bridge Building with Baloo. The Cubs had to build a bridge, as long as they could, with Lego bricks. I was with the Cubs who built one 23 inches long. Then off to see what Kaa was doing in the Kitchen. The Cubs had to find 12 hazards that Kaa had set up. They were really good at it, they even found more than Kaa had set up.
Time to move on!
I hung around on the Pioneering base next. Cubs were building a catapult with sticks and elastic bands. Then they had to make sure it worked by putting a ball in the sling. Time to move on when I was put in the sling!!

Can you spot the hazards behind me?

Finally it was over to "Mind Games" with James and Stuart. What nice boys they are! They used to be Cubs once, but now they are Explorers and come and help out every Monday. The Cubs had to do a puzzle moving a pattern of different size bricks from one side to the next in the least amount of moves. At first the Cubs thought it was impossible, even Stuart had trouble with it. Mason and Oliver got it figured out.
Can't wait to meet them again, maybe at the Party on Sunday.

One of the Heron Cubs wrote to me after meeting me on Monday

Heres a puzzle for you.
How can you get a chicken, a fox and a bag of grain across a river, on a boat, only taking one at a time without the grain and chicken being eaten.
On monday night at cubs we took part in an activity evening, which was great fun, we took part in pioneering, making catapults out of bamboo sticks, elastic bands and a colander. It was tough but my pack managed to do it. We also crawled through a Danasauras cave and made bridges out of lego, my six managed to build a bridge 17 inches long, unfortunately we didnt win, the longest bridge being 22 inches , which was built by the sixers of each pack.We also learnt about health and safety in the kitchen.
So, have you thought about the puzzle. Im not telling you the answer. Think about it carefully, and im sure you will work it out.
Jack B. Herons.
Thanks Jack, I hope you like seeing your words on my Blog!

1 comment:

  1. I think you were right to get out of the sling! Good fun!

    ReplyDelete