Saturday 12 February 2011

25th Anniversary Beaver Sleepover

Ware and District  Beavers
2011 is full of special birthdays. As you well know 3rd Ware is 100 years old, Ware and District is 100 years old and nationally Beaver Scouts are celebrating 25 years. Here at 3rd Ware, our Beavers are not actually 25, but we are embracing the celebrations for the inception of the Beaver section.

The cake
To mark this event we joined in with the sleepover weekend. Ware and District held theirs last night at The Chauncy School in Ware. The Beavers had a packed event, making candles, party hats, a cake, decorating fairy cakes, cake mixing, colouring in, playing party games, banner making and generally having fun.

Aleaxander wrote "It was lots of fun thank you. I played loads of games and my best bit was eating 4 biscuits! I had a really good nights sleep, thank you (!) PS I forgot my sleeping bag!"

The Beaver Scouts had a great time and joined in all the activities with their usual enthusiasm and I thoroughly enjoyed joining them for this special event. we all enjoyed the cooked breakfast which included bacon sarnies - yum yum!

My New Friend
One of our Beavers also brought along his class mascot and so I was not alone. I know I had the company of the Beavers and the Leaders, but it was nice to have someone else with me who understood how hectic life can be when one has to travel from place to place and meet new people all the time!

Holly sent me an email saying "I had a brilliant time at my last Beaver sleepover. The fun bits were making cakes and a party hat, but my favourite game was pin the tail on the Beaver because I always got it in the right place. I did not get much sleep because I was too warm. Most of the Beavers were up early on Saturday morning, I liked the breakfast and then we had some photos done. I think its sad that it is my last Beaver sleepover."

I am looking forward to joining in the other activities that celebrate 25 years of Beaver Scouting, as well as our very own centenary and thank you to Ware and District for letting me join in the sleepover adventure!

3 comments:

  1. That looks like so much fun! And I was a helper at Beavers, doing my Guide service flash, 27 years ago.

    How can that be, I hear you ask you clever monkey!

    The Scout group was asked to test out Beavers so the group was one of the very first Beaver colonies, two years before anyone else! Which also means I was probably one of the first Guides to get her service flash for helping Beavers, I remember having to get special permission to do it from the Guide Captain as Guides had only ever earned it at Brownies before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Jen, I am meeting lots of people this year but no one else has laid claim to being involved with the first Beaver colonies. I am an impressed monkey! I wonder if you will get to celebrate the 25 years at a Beaver event. You need to ask for a badge for your blanket, either the national one or a local one if your area doing their own. Thank you for continuing to read my Blog, I enjoyed looking at your Brownie adventures on your Blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Gus, my Beaver son has a 25 years badge, and I do have a Beaver badge on my camp blanket next to my Service Flash to represent my time at Beavers. Hope you keep having a great year!

    ReplyDelete