Monday 21 February 2011

Founder's Day - Part 2

3rd Ware Cubs and Scouts
Founder’s Day is held every year to celebrate the birthday of the founder of Scouting, Lord Baden-Powell. This year it was held at Tolmers and 3rd Ware joined the rest of the District in a variety of activities, ending in a Scouts' Own service.

After registration the Young People are free to choose which activities they want to try and I think members of 3rd Ware, just about, managed to try them all between them.

Elena, a Cub said: It was fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My favourite thing, surprisingly, was 'rope-a-phobia.' I say surprisingly because I was tremendously terrified, it is extremely high (when you’re up there,) you have to go across (what looks like) unsteady metal, then wood and string and finally after all that, a climbing rope.... When I was down was proud of myself, I really felt I had achieved something. Now I know why it’s called rope-a-phobia.

I think we can safely say she enjoyed herself and I am proud that she conquered her fear of taking part in the Rope-a-phobia activity. She also spent some of the day looking after me; thank you Elena.

William, another Cub emailed me to say: I thought it was an awesome day and enjoyed shooting with a rifle, the archery, the rolling rock and the bouncy castle. The Cub Pub was excellent and I enjoyed holding you “Gus”. I am so pleased Baden-Powell started Scouting as it’s such good fun and we do lots of exciting things.

William seemed to be enjoying the mud whilst he was there and he helped me out several times as well!

It was not just the young people who got to attend this event; it could not have taken place without all the Leaders who helped run the activities along side the service crew. Weasel commented: This was my first Founders Day Celebration and I thoroughly enjoyed the day and the fellowship of fellow leaders. The most important part of these events is seeing the young people trying things they have never done before, having freedom in a safe large environment and making decisions for themselves without too much adult intervention. Through Scouting they truly learn independence.

The highlight of the day for me was seeing a newly invested Beaver (his first external event) climbing up onto Rope-a-phobia attached to secure line and a harness, moving around on his own, through a variety of difficulties. His face was an absolute picture.

This year is going to be a great year for 3rd Ware Scout Group.

The Cubs were not the only ones having fun and Ethan (who officially starts Beavers after half term) attended the day and emailed to say: I went on the bouncy castle. I cooked a twist on the bonfire. I didn't want to go on the high climbing frame. I went on the slippery pole; we had pillows and had to fight with them. The one who stays on is the winner, and I fell off twice. Thanks Ethan for letting me know what you did and I really hope you enjoy Beavers once you start and I look forward to meeting you again.

Don't forget to look on the Group website where you will be able to see a larger selection of photographs taken at the event and once again thank you to Ware and District for organising a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment