Saturday 2 April 2011

School days

Yesterday I went to Christ Church School in Ware. I do have to confess that I have been here before because I often use it as my rendezvous point when attending activities with the young people at 3rd Ware. Many of our members go to this school and so it is an easy place to meet them to go home and then get taken to an event.

However yesterday was different. When we arrived at school all was as usual and I assisted the teacher in setting up the classroom and getting ready for school to begin and then she sat me on her chair and the class arrived. So far so good…but I was beginning to wonder why I was there.

Then we went to assembly and what did I see, well standing out amongst the red sweatshirts of the school uniform was that familiar Beaver blue! Sprinkled all over the hall were “Beaver Scouts”. There they sat in their uniforms and great bananas I spotted some of the familiar black and green neck scarves! Something exciting must be happening.

The acting deputy head explained that today was the official 25th birthday of the Beaver Scouts joining the Scout Association and in recognition of this anyone who was a Beaver had been invited to wear their uniform to school. As well as 3rd Ware, Great Amwell, 5th Ware and 2nd Ware were represented.

At the end of assembly we invited any of the Beavers, regardless of their colony, to visit me in McKee class and that set the tone of the day. We had a constant stream of Beaver visitors who wanted to chat to me, play with me and have me go to their classes to learn. They all also wanted their photograph taken with me. I felt a bit of a celebrity!

The girls from Great Amwell are obviously an academic lot because they were keen for me to join in with phonics and took me to their class. I spent time playing in the reception garden and in the afternoon visited Butterworth class who had a mix of Beavers from all the colonies. Iona and Jack were pleased to see me in school and both said they loved meeting me at the different activities and thought I was fantastic…my head was swelling a bit at that point!

Marcus, Toby, Jake and one of their friends from 2nd Ware tried to confuse me (easily done) when they turned up to play with me but were dressed as evacuee children with luggage labels pinned to them. I thought we were in a time warp, but Jake explained they were rehearsing their school play and had hurried from the rehearsal to the classroom to spend some time with me before they had to go back – phew – next time they came they put their Group scarves on to help me out!

Several of the adults in the school are also involved in Scouting, in one way or another, and Vikki Flaum who works in the school office came down to see me because she is a member of 2nd Hoddesdon Beavers. Otter, one of our own leaders, also works at school and it was she who instigated this uniform day.

During Golden time I was in Mckee class again and lo and behold some Beavers turn up to paint and dress up. I had a great time watching them.

The Beavers from 3rd Ware were very excited to see me in school and were very keen to share my time with their friends from other Groups. I had met many of these Beavers before at the Sleepover or the handicraft competition.

The day was a very positive endorsement of Scouting by one school and the Beavers were proud to show off their uniforms and explain their badges to anyone who asked and some who didn’t!

Thanks to the Beavers who helped write this with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment